If you are a detail-oriented person who likes a fast-paced, on-your-feet work environment, you may enjoy working for The Can Van! We are a mobile canning service for craft beer, wine, and cider companies around Northern and Central California. We are looking for new team members who are motivated, mechanically inclined, fast learners, and hard workers.
The Can Van is focused on hiring people that can help in the San Francisco /East Bay/ North Bay/ San Jose, and Sacramento regions for both part time and full time positions. This work is fast-paced and rewarding, great for problem-solvers and those who feel bored with a desk job. You will work inside breweries and wineries, meeting great people and enjoying the take-home perks that come with the industry.
A packaging crew member operates packaging lines onsite at customer locations, working in many different breweries, integrating packaging with the brewing equipment and supervises the operation of runs to ensure an efficient high-quality packaging service.
- Operates packaging line, labeler, and auxiliary equipment.
- Implements operational, sanitation, quality, and safety procedures.
- Communicates with customers about requirements and quality to ensure smooth operations, high quality service, and customer satisfaction.
- Troubleshoots equipment and fixes problems with canning line and brewing interface, often in cooperation with customers.
- Cleans and maintains sanitation of packaging equipment.
- Performs preventative maintenance and repairs to equipment and vehicles.
- Performs advance planning for canning jobs, prepares supplies and equipment.
- Writes logs and reports.
- Contributes to the full packaging operation including depalletizing empty containers, labeling, assembling trays and boxes, drying, applying 6-pack holders, assembling cases, stacking and wrapping pallets.
- Drives equipment between breweries and warehouse.
- Performs any logistical duties as needed for the provision of an onsite packaging service.
Qualifications, Skills, and Physical Requirements:
- Over 21.
- Self-motived and able to work both independently and as a team.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle delicate objects with care.
- Ability to stay positive and work with all types of personalities and customers.
- Clean Driving Record.
- Reliable access to personal transportation to headquarters and to customer sites.
- Driving and backing a pickup with trailer (not required, but a plus).
- Driving for long periods.
- Working on repetitive tasks in a monotonous environment punctuated by brief periods of crisis.
- Ability and willingness to troubleshoot machines and a basic mechanical aptitude.
- Manual dexterity including opening and closing valves and clamps and operating user interface.
- Ability to work early mornings and overtime, sometimes other weird hours and weekends.
- Willingness to travel, including overnight, anywhere from 0 to 12 days per month.
- Ability to work in hot, cold, wet, loud, slippery or weird smelling conditions, and environments with annoying music or talkative people.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs repeatedly, occasionally lift 75 lbs, and push or pull 150 lbs.
- Additional physical requirements include standing, moving around, reaching, bending, high fiving, fist bumping, repetitive motion and handling small very cold items for extended periods in a light industrial environment.
Crew: $14+ /hour to start, DOE. Performs the above work under supervision, ability to move up fast!
2nd level operators and Canning supervisors: $15 to $18 / hour depending on experience and level of independence.
Benefits provided! Health care, vacation time, holidays, etc. Please submit your resume and a bit about why you would be a good fit for this job! Replies without a note about yourself will not be considered.
Please submit a cover letter or short message about yourself and why you would be a good fit for this job, in addition to your resume to email@example.com.
The Can Van is a mobile canning service for beer, wine, and cider customers in Northern California. We are looking for a motivated and creative individual to join our team in the new role of Equipment Maintenance Manager. Based in Sacramento, The Can Van is a female-owned small business that has made a name for itself within the craft beer and wine industry over the past nine years. We pride ourselves on quality service and are searching for the right individual to help us maintain our growing fleet of equipment and streamline operations.
The Equipment Maintenance Manager must be extremely organized, with good attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and advanced mechanical aptitude. They will be responsible for maintaining and fixing all canning related equipment, as well as developing and implementing warehouse organizational structures and preventative maintenance schedules. Equipment includes multiple canning lines, labelers, conveyors, and specialty wine equipment such as pumps and nitrogen dosers. Experience with these specific items is not required, but we are looking for a quick learner with the ability to rapidly assess and understand new equipment, use tools, comprehend how mechanical things work, and how to keep them in good working order.
The Maintenance Manager will also assist the Logistics Manager and Office staff in ensuring that equipment and supplies are in the correct place at the correct time. Required analytical skills include using spreadsheets, planning, scheduling, and connecting the big picture to the daily details.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Maintain and repair all canning related equipment
- Set up preventative maintenance schedules and be responsible for carrying out maintenance
- Repair broken equipment as needed, replace lost bolts, respond to work order requests from canning crew
- Monitor Slack and other communication channels to prioritize repairs and ensure equipment is ready for use
- Communicate with crew, office, and all necessary parties about equipment needs, availability, repair progress, rescheduling due to equipment failures, etc.
Set up and run warehouse SOPs, ordering, and requisitions
- Maintain an organized warehouse and workshop
- Communicate with management about tools or parts needed
- Order parts needed for repairs, maintenance, upgrades, or canning line toolbox inventories
- Organize all spare parts in the warehouse in transparent and orderly fashion
- Help build a master spreadsheet of parts and vendors
- Help build and implement procedures for requisitions, ordering, returns, etc.
Oversee vehicle and trailer maintenance
- Basic upkeep and cleaning of vehicles and trailers
- Oversee fleet service and maintenance schedules for vehicles
- Plan scheduling and logistics of getting vehicles serviced and repaired
Qualifications, Skills and Physical Requirements:
- Over 21
- Experience managing projects or people, tell us why you're qualified!
- Warehouse work experience a plus
- Very mechanically inclined, experience with power and hand tools, fabrication, MacGyvering
- Welding skills a plus!
- Leadership skills in motivating staff, resolving conflicts, and making hard decisions
- Analytical skills including math and real-world problem solving
- Decision making and negotiation skills
- Organized and good attention to detail
- Clean and tidy work habits
- Proficient with computer technology, e-mail, word processing, phone communication apps and spreadsheets
- Professional manner and excellent verbal, written, phone, and interpersonal communication skills
- Able to communicate with various personalities diplomatically and professionally
- Able to work in a fast paced, changing work environment
- Able to work independently under minimal supervision, with time-management skills
- Flexibility to work at different hours and travel to offsite locations as needed
- Valid US Driver's license and clean driving record
- Driving and backing a pickup with trailer
- Forklift driving
- Ability to lift 25 lbs repeatedly, occasionally lift 75lbs, and push or pull 150 lbs.
- Additional physical requirements include standing, moving around, reaching, bending, high fiving, fist bumping, repetitive motion and being dirty and sweaty in a light industrial environment.
The work hours for this position are Wednesday - Sunday: Wed-Fri approximately 11am-7pm, Sat and Sun flexible hours. These hours are subject to change as the position develops, or as equipment needs dictate. Location of work will be The Can Van main warehouse in Natomas, Sacramento. Overtime occasionally required.
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive hourly rate, depending on experience.
Benefits include health insurance, sick leave, paid vacation, paid holidays, and employer matching 401K.
Please submit a cover letter or short message about yourself and why you would be a good fit for this job, in addition to your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.